Opened in Salvador in 1873, the Lacerda Elevator was the first public elevator in the world. At the time, it was known as the Conceição Hydraulic Lift, due to its proximity to the Nossa Senhora da Conceição da Praia Church, and later renamed to Screw Elevator. In 1896 it was renamed after the engineer who designed the elevator, Antônio Lacerda.
The Elevator was initially a tower with two passenger transportation booths. It was completely refurbished and expanded in 1930, gaining two additional towers and booths and taking on its current shape.
One of Salvador’s most famous postcards, the Elevator is the main access point between Uptown and Downtown, transporting 900,000 passengers per month in 30-second trips. Featuring an art deco style and 72 m in height, the Elevator provides a beautiful overview of the Baía de Todos os Santos [Bay of All Saints]. The Elevator was listed as a heritage site in 2006 by IPHAN.
Bahia Tourist Hotline: +55 (71) 3103-3103
Praça Visconde de Cayru, Centro – Salvador – Bahia